Buggle has been a kitchen helper since he was big enough to sit in his highchair and peel garlic for me. Since he’s also a good reader and methodical by nature I decided to write instructions for his first solo meal on the kitchen white board.
This was a fairly simple meal for him to make as I already had cooked onions and peppers in the fridge leftover from another meal. The beans were canned and I had him use a small jar of salsa for the majority of the flavoring and sauce. He was able to do it completely unassisted which was lovely as we had been extremely busy that day and I needed to catch up on some other housework!
- 1 pound ground beef
- One large onion sliced and sauteed until soft (this can be done ahead of time by a parent)
- 2 bell peppers with seeds removed, diced and sauteed (can be done ahead)
- 2 14 oz cans of red kidney beans
- 1 15.5 oz jar of medium heat salsa
- Crushed tomatoes (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Brown meat
- Add peppers and onions
- Drain kidney beans and add to meat mixture
- Add jar of salsa- depending on how much fat is in the meat and how well the beans are drained you may need to add a cup of water or crushed tomatoes to make the dish moist enough
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is done.
- Serve with rice and another vegetable or applesauce