So one of my goals this month is to do no more laundry in a day than I can have folded and put away by evening chore time. For me this means about three loads. Amazingly I’ve actually seen the bottom of the laundry sorter and the top of the folding table several times this week. More laundry is getting put away, and more laundry is getting done than I’ve ever managed to do regularly.
Here’s what I’m doing:
- One of F’s morning chores is to collect the laundry and bring it down to the utility room. He sorts it into the three bin laundry sorter (underwear and socks, towels and sheets, dresses and shirts).
- I put on one load as soon as I come down in the morning. Usually I run something not very dirty that I can use the “fast wash” setting on my machine on. This way the first load of laundry is done in half an hour and I can have it dried and the second and third loads in the washer and dryer when we go upstairs for school at 9 am.
- I try to fold the first load during morning chores after breakfast and have the children put it away. The second load gets folded after school and put away during lunch time chores. Sometimes the third load gets folded then too, sometimes it gets done in the evening.
- I’ve decided to make Fridays a day when I don’t wash but concentrate on getting everything put away, the ironing done and the socks matched.
- Most importantly I’ve decided to be OK with always having a load or two that could be run. Dirty laundry is constantly being made and the goal of completing all the laundry was just too frustrating.
In other goals:
- The children are really getting into the idea of the Thanksgiving Journal. I do need to work more on sitting still and listening during reading and prayer.
- I’ve been managing some stretching and walking, but Su and I have both been having asthma trouble so I haven’t been pushing that very hard.
- School planning is going fairly well, I’m waiting on a few books to come in the mail.
The laundry really has been my big push this month though and I think I’m beginning to see how to manage it best….Pin It