The other day I wrote about some of my thoughts on The Art of The House . As I was writing that I was thinking about some of the things that I do or should do to encourage the children to see the beauty around them and to incorporate that into their lives.
Here is a short list:
Things I Do:
- Display Lego and other creations that the children have made “for pretty”
- Set the table with serving dishes and candles
- Try to de-clutter one space every day
- Sometimes put vegetables or greens from the Farmer’s Market in a vase for a few days to be admired.
- Point out things I see (birds, flowers etc.)
Things I should do:
- Spend more time working with them to understand the difference between decorative and cluttered
- Spend more time doing art projects with them in order to give them a larger foundation to work with
- Go places with them where they can see other styles than mine and teach them to appreciate those too