Hosting A Soup and Bread Supper: Vegan Tomato Soup And Biscuits
Tomato soup! So warm and wintery and so easy to make from scratch!
Start with two small onions and a few cloves of garlic. Chop and sautee in a neutral oil like corn or sunflower. Add a generous amount of of parsley, and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Sautee and stir until the garlic and onions are tender.
Whisk in flour until all of the oil is absorbed. ?Then pour in a small amount of tomato juice and stir until smooth before adding the rest of the tomato juice and the can of puree.
At this point you can continue with the recipe or put the base away until you need it. Either way simmer it for 10-15 minutes before serving and then stir in two cups of coconut-almond milk or for a really creamy taste a can of coconut cream.
- Two small onions chopped
- 3-5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1 46 oz Bottle or Can of tomato juice
- 1 28 ounce can of tomato puree
- 2 cups of coconut-almond milk (plain, unsweetened) or 1 14 ounce can of coconut cream
- Flour (if making gluten free use chickpea flour)
- Chop the onions and garlic and sautee in oil with the spices.
- When they are tender, stir in flour to make a roux, then thin with tomato juice
- Add the puree
- At this point you can refrigerate the soup base until the day you wish to use it. It will keep for several days in the fridge.
- When you are ready to finish it...
- Bring to a simmer and stir in the coconut milk or cream.
Sticks, Stones and Chicken Bones/ Kyndra Steinmann 2014
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup fat that is solid at room temperature. (I use lard most often, but the vegan shortenings also work well. Earth Balance and the vegan margarines do not work as they are soft not solid at room temperature)
1 can of coconut cream well shaken
Mix dry ingredients and cut in the fat of your choice. Mix just enough that you have little flakes of fat and flour. Dump in the can of coconut cream and mix lightly until everything is moist. ?Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Makes ~ 12 biscuits.