This recipe was invented on the eve of our wedding (after the rehearsal dinner) when we realized in a panic that there was nothing for the vegetarians and vegans to eat except oranges and bread!
S rummaged in his pantry and came up with this
- Group 1
- 2 cups yellow lentils (the kind that cook to mush)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your thumb)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp tumeric
- Group 2
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Group 3
- 1 T lemon juice
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- 1 can coconut cream
- Rinse lentils and cover with water, add Group 1 ingredients and cook lentils until soft.
- Stir in second group of ingredients and simmer for a while, then turn off and if possible let sit for a while.
- Just before serving stir in last three ingredients.
Lentils are fairly cheap if you buy them at an Indian or Asian grocery and even our little ones like these. We either serve them with rice or use them as a spread on bread, or a dip for vegetables.Pin It